Monday, June 9, 2014

A Life Changing Experience

Steven and Brother King one year after his first visit to the Visitors' Center

Young Men and leaders visit the Center with Steven on the one year anniversary of his visit 

Steven's Story



I remember the first time I came to the Visitors' Center because it was about the second or third time I had attended Young Men.  The activity of the night was to watch a video at the Visitors' Center.  I wasn't really looking forward to going because I hardly knew anyone, but I was being forced to go to another thing with these "Mormons" by my grandmother.  The video we watched was "Treasure in Heaven: the John Tanner Story".  I didn't remember which video it was but I certainly remembered the way I felt the rest of the night after watching it.  It was a strange sensation in my chest.  I felt that I had no worries.  I now believe this to be the Holy Ghost telling me that this was a good thing for me.  When I got home that night my grandmother asked me how it was.  I explained how I felt and said that I actually enjoyed going this time.  The next week it was about time to go to mutual and my grandmother said "Steven, I have been thinking and I'm not going to make you go to mutual anymore."  I surprised her by saying, "But I want to go".  She didn't hesitate and grabbed the car keys to take me.  Thus my spiritual journey began.
I went to Young Men for about a year and loved going.  I had lots of fun and Brother King suggested that I start seeing the missionaries.  The first time I met with them we were in a member's home, and Brother King came.  One of the things I told the missionaries was that I was willing to sacrifice things for baptism.  I couldn't wait to meet again.  The missionaries always lightened up my day.  I had lessons for about 6 months and was baptized.  When I was baptized, as I came out of the water, I had the same exact feeling that I had when I went to the Visitors' Center that first time, only ten times stronger.  I felt warm and peaceful.  I love what I did and know that it brings me great happiness to have this religion in my life.  Growing up I had it pretty tough.  I was constantly moving place to place.  My parents were both addicts and I just couldn't seem to get away from it all.  My life is finally on the track I want to be on.




No comments:

Post a Comment